Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chiu Chow Hop Shing Dessert 潮州合成甜品



Continuing on my Chiu Chow theme and going into one of the Chiu Chow enclaves in Kowloon City, Chiu Chow Hop Shing Dessert is a renowned old hand.  Also known as the King of Lotus Seeds, and I don't particularly like lotus seeds, this is where they get it right.  They are steamed soft and break down in the mouth without any chewing.  


On this occasion, I ordered the split green beans with lotus seeds and a nicely chewy jelly, slightly more so than Konnyaku (綠豆邊蓮子清心丸).  The broth was light and not too sweet, with the green beans providing most of the texture.  The lotus seeds added another dimension of fragrance and sweetness and the jelly (清心丸) breaking up the monotony every now and then.  


For Singaporeans who are used to having their split green beans with cut up dough fritters, don't fret.  This is the real McCoy and there are no distractions.  So, stick to the Chiu Chow staples here and you'll be guaranteed a uniquely sweet experience.  


9 Lung Kong Road
Kowloon City
Tel: +852-2383 3026

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was an excellent blog, that information has been very helpful in my life, I am a desserts lover, so I really enjoyed this reading, this weekend I want to do one! Thanks for this great moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi bedroom foods,
    thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you found the blog helpful. Hope to have you visit more often. Hope you start yours this weekend too! We need more unbiased reviewers out there!

    ReplyDelete