Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hong Kong - Crystal Jade 翡翠拉麵小籠包

Every now and then, I get a craving for noodles.  Dan Dan noodles.  I have my priority list based on what I've had the good fortune to try so far.  In Hong Kong, I do like the one at Liu Yuan Pavilion.  A lot.  But it isn't necessarily convenient to get to regularly, or when you have sudden cravings.  Crystal Jade's best outlet in my opinion in Harbour City works for that reason.


I've had many versions of dan dan noodles.  More often than not, they are the chef's decision on the ratio of chili oil, soup stock and sesame paste.  The one at Crystal Jade has an additional nice touch of roasted chili flakes giving it a more robust taste but is not too spicy for the average Hong Kong palate.




On this visit, just to continue on the sesame theme, I decided to try the braised beef tendon generously slathered with a sesame-based sauce, and which you eat sandwiched in a Chinese bun.  Quite addictive, but gets heavy quickly.

For a healthier snack, the Chinese edamame with beancurd sheets and Shanghainese preserved vegetables are good.  Lightly stir-fried together, the 3 ingredients are as different as day and night but come together in a classic Shanghainese home-style comfort-food type combi of textures.

But let's face it, it's really the dan dan noodles here most of the time that makes me tick.


Shop 3328, 3/F
Gateway Arcade, Harbour City
17 Canton Road
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852-2622 2699

No comments:

Post a Comment