Sunday, September 28, 2008

Singapore - Nanbantei


Ever get that good feeling when you tuck into something you had when you were young, and it transports you back to the good old days and the happy memories you have.. having lunch at Nanbantei does that for me.

Nanbantei - the robatayaki franchise from Japan has been at Far East Plaza for as long as I can remember. It was one of those blue moon treats for me when Mom and I got sick of eating at the Scotts Picnic Food Court, yes remember that one? Far East Plaza/Scotts Shopping Centre used to be such after-school hangouts, being the nearest malls to my secondary school in the '80s.

After more than 20 years, the Obento lunch box at Nanbantei is still excellent value for money at S$12.50. With 5 yakitori skewers and a rice box topped with minced pork, braised mushrooms and seawood, it is a scrumptious lunch and nutritious too! Accompanied by miso soup and a dessert of mochi sitting on a bed of Azuki red bean, it is a full meal.

While Nanbantei is not the best robatayaki joint in town, it is pretty darn good and is close in taste to its Tokyo counterpart, which I had occasion to try a couple of years ago. And for me, it is the added nostalgia which takes me there every now and then...

No comments:

Post a Comment