Sunday, November 1, 2009

Lok Yuen Dai Pai Dong 樂園大排檔


I know of Dai Pai Dongs - the quintessential place to enjoy a hearty dinner/supper in old Hong Kong.  The real ones which are open air and not placed in a market or food centre are disappearing fast as Hong Kong develops its land all over the island.  This was my first time at a semi-real Dai Pai Dong.  It is open air but has a fixed shelter and was a little more comfortable than I thought it would be.  Of course, the crowds are there but that gives you comfort that there is quick turnover, ensuring food is fresh. 

Lok Yuen was a good initiator.  With some really tasty items, the range we tried was pretty competent.  Putting my MSG attack thereafter aside (to be expected at these old style places I suppose - they only had Pepsi and not Coke - which explains it), I did have an enjoyable experience especially in a large and hungry group!


Winners of the late evening:

Roast Chicken


Oyster Omelette


Stir-fried clams in black bean sauce

Other pretty decent and worth trying items:


Sweet sour spare ribs;    
                                                                                        Steamed pork patty with salted egg yolk



Grilled eel with a honey based sauce


My only disappointment was the garouper fillet pieces in a sweet corn sauce.  Typically my one of my favourite homestyle dishes, this was a little too bland for me here.  Kinda blah unfortunately... 
All in all, a fun experience and for those who've never been or for those who want to want to relive their childhoods, not bad at all.  If you the reader, have other suggestions about similar places worth trying, please ping me!


No.1, Dai Pai Dong,
Wo Che Est Market
Sha Tin, New Territories
Hong Kong
Tel: +852-2691 3933

No comments:

Post a Comment