Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Hong Kong - Dot Cod Seafood Restaurant and Oyster Bar

Sometimes old is good. Dot Cod is an institution and has been in the same location for as long as I can remember, feeding the folks in Central. Owned and managed by the Hong Kong Cricket Club, and retaining a rather "members only" feel, even though it is open to the public, meal times are pretty packed. Even happy hour with great snacks draws the office worker bees for a beer and chips after a hard day at the bank or law firm they stream from.

Our starter of the Salmon Tartare with Black Sesame Tartlets was a decent start. Although I appreciated the freshness of the salmon topped wtih creme fraiche, I would have liked a little more sea salt to bring out the sea a little bit more and perhaps a little more crisp to the filo tartlet underneath. Good effort anyhow and environmentally friendly since this is part of Chef Colin Gouldsbury's "Green" collection.

My selection from the Dot Cod Favourites list of the Dot Cod Fish Pie was pure comfort food. Although the insides were baked in cream, it was not as heavy as I thought it would be and was suitable even for the humid summer weather we are having. While not spectacular, the plump prawns, mushrooms and salmon pieces on the inside made for an interesting enough dish on its own. The garlic mash over the top was lovely and not surprisingly, I licked all the mash off but couldn't finish some of the insides nor the boiled cabbage which accompanied it!
And wisely so as I heeded the advice of J. The chocolate souffle is one of the better ones I've had and drizzled with the chocolate-marbled vanilla sauce hit right home for me.

Hong Kong is certainly famous for seafood but not many places do it "guai lo" style and Dot Cod is one of the few that do so to a certain standard, which explains its strong existence to this very day. Although it is not my favourite style of food, I do enjoy it once in a while and it does hit the spot when I do get a craving - especially the Cod Fish and Chips. That would be a perfect segway into my next souffle there.

B4 Basement, Prince’s Building
10 Chater Road
Central
Hong Kong
Tel: +852-2810 6988

No comments:

Post a Comment